After upgrading my home lab recently to vSphere 6.5, I also updated some of the related utilities such as the various SDKs and CLIs. One of the CLIs that I had updated was the latest version of OVFTool which is now at 4.2. I use OVFTool extensively to automate various Virtual Machine deployments (import/export). While testing out a new OVA that I had been working on, I needed to verify that it also worked with previous release of vSphere like vSphere 6.0 Update 2. I happen to have the vSphere C# Client open and connected to a vCenter Server and when I tried to import the newly created OVA, but it failed with the following error message:
The following manifest file entry(line1) is invalid: SHA256
I was pretty surprised by this since I went through this exact same workflow a couple of days ago without any problems. The only change that had happened was OVFTool and error seems to indicate an issue with the hashing algorithm. I ran OVFTool again using just the --help option to check what the default SHA hashing algorithm was, it was SHA256. I then compared that to an older version of OVFTool and it looks like the default had changed from SHA1 to SHA256.
From a security standpoint, this is a positive change as SHA1 is no longer considered a secure hashing algorithm and a stronger version should be used. It also turns out that the vSphere C# Client can only support SHA1 which is why I received the error after upgrading to the new version of OVFTool. Luckily, this is NOT a problem when using the vSphere Web Client or the vSphere HTML5 Client and only affects the vSphere C# Client. If you do need to use the vSphere C# Client for importing OVF/OVAs exported from the latest version of OVFTool, the workaround is quite simple, just override the default hashing algorithim when exporting by adding the additional CLI option: